Advises clients on the application of the Competition Act and the Investment Canada Act to mergers and acquisitions. Merger clearance work has included:
- Pfizer Inc.’s acquisitions of Warner Lambert and Pharmacia; Pfizer’s sale of its Consumer Healthcare Business to Johnson & Johnson
- Acquisitions by Berkshire Hathaway Inc. including The Pampered Chef, Shaw Industries, Fruit of the Loom and Benjamin Moore
- Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. and its partners’ acquisition of Chrysler, and its acquisition of a controlling interest in GMAC
- Assists businesses in complying with the Competition Act provisions that pertain to the marketing, pricing and distribution of products and services.
- Provides advice in connection with the criminal and reviewable conduct provisions of the Competition Act.
- Helps businesses to develop and implement corporate compliance programs to ensure that management and employees understand and comply with the Competition Act and other legislation.